Friday, May 20, 2016

Conquering Mt Washington!

Beech Hill Campground was lovely, with private sites.


The RV life is tough! 

Norm and I, while in the White Mountain area of New Hampshire, wanted to get a little exercise.  I had no idea what possessed me to suggest we hike Mt.Washington! It was probably the fact that I have had more than a few regrets that I hadn’t done a few hikes I feared might have been too difficult. I was just talking to someone who had recently driven the Auto Road to the top, and she said it was terrifying, and would never do it again. That didn’t sound like fun, so I figured an alternative was to hike up.

  When I googled it that night in order to get trail information, I learned that it was the highest mountain north-east of the Mississippi and north of the Carolina’s and  a whopping 6288 feet! The hike also had a 4000 feet of elevation gain in just 4 miles! I learned the hard way in Alaska just how steep that is! Plus, it’s considered one of the most dangerous mountains to hike in the US! Holy Crap, what have I done?

This was the first article that came up when I Googled. Oh, my!  Why did I open my mouth and suggest we hike this? 

With a strong sense of dread, I continued my research on this mountain.  The good news was the “deadly factor” seemed to most always be weather-related, ( or idiot related – don’t try it alone in flip-flops and a tee shirt with no water ) and tomorrow’s forecast was for the best it ever gets up there.  I didn't want to disappoint Norm, so what the heck - let's do it!

We both readily agreed that we would hike up, but take the Cog Railroad down.  I knew I would be exhausted, and there was no way Norm’s knees would take the decent. I called the railroad and they assured me that there was no need for a reservation.  Just get to the top and request a ride down.

I packed in my usual “emergency-preparedness” manner.  Lot’s of food, water, first aid kit with emergency foil blankets, fire-starter, flashlights, water-filter, full rain gear, and warm clothing for the higher elevation, etc. I had us prepared to spend a couple of nights out there if something terrible happened even if it rained, snowed or something in between. Thank goodness I had the perseverance to find a backpack that fit me well, because it was pretty heavy (carrying 3 liters of water was 6.6 lbs. alone) so that added to the challenge of the climb.

When I got out of the car and looked around, I saw Mt Washington way off in the distance, and way, way up!  Oh, my! I was feeling a lot less ambitious than I was when I opened my mouth yesterday, but it was too late to back out now.  I hate to admit it, but I was out of breath walking up the hill before we even hit the Jewell Trail!

I made Norm stop and rest often after we hiked only about a mile. We picked our way up and over rocks and boulders as we huffed and puffed our way up.   After a couple of hours we started meeting the really ambitious who had already hiked to the top and on the way back down.  They all told us that there was no availability on the train for the rest of the day, so they were forced to hike down. Oh, no!

 We decided to keep going up because we certainly were not going back down that steep, rocky terrain!  We figured someone would give us a ride if we looked pathetic enough, or perhaps if I collapsed in a heap when I reached the top. (Which I was beginning to think I was going to do anyway).

Honest Norm, I am only stopping to take a picture of this Indian Peace Pipe - not because I am tired! ( I hope he's not catching on to my rouse )

I made Norm stop for many breaks as we trudged up the hill – willing each leg to pick the foot up knee high hoping it lands on a solid rock so we can haul ourselves up again and again. My thighs are not as strong as Norm’s (didn’t do enough squats) so my technique was to use the hiking poles to PUSH myself up. Easy on the legs, tough on the upper body. We had to balance ourselves while we hopped from one boulder to the next all the while trying not to get knocked off balance with the backpack.

This "trail" was tough going.  


After a couple of miles we were almost above tree line.  We thankfully stopped to have ½ our lunch and I went down the trail to use the “restroom” because I knew once the trees were gone, any chance of privacy went with it.  Feeling better, we resumed our grueling hike.

Up, and up, and up.  I kept saying "I think I can, I think I can......"


The trail became even steeper and the rocks even  bigger, and we had the added challenge of trying to figure out which way the trail went at all!  I could really see how people become hopelessly lost in the fog that frequents these mountains.

What? We are not at the top? What do you mean we have to get up THERE?


When I thought I could go no further, I finally saw the top.  It was disappointingly far away, but at least I could see my goal.  I thought.  I asked one of the hikers coming down how much farther we had to go; he told us “It’s only a couple miles, now.  Once you get to the top of that mountain you see, you go down the other side and then it gets steep.” ( GET’S steep? Are you kidding me? ) “Then you start to climb Mt Washington.”  What?  OMG! We haven’t been on Mt. Washington at all?

Needless to say, that was not what I was hoping to hear.  We continued on, worrying that we won’t get a ride down, and it was taking a lot longer than we anticipated.  The last mile or so the trail started to get popular, and there was a little camaraderie  between the hikers as we united to conquer this mountain, dreaming of earning the right to buy the tee shirt that says “ This body climbed Mt Washington “.  The heck with the car decal! That’s for sissies!

I know, we are near the top, Norm, but I HAVE to rest! 

Nearing the top it was actually part of the Appalachian Trail and had better system of marking the trail.


The top came in sight, and boy I have to tell you, I struggled to get there!  Norm had no doubts that he would make it.

Clouds are starting to move in and hide the view.  We better hurry!


We rushed right over to the Post Office, of all places, to get tickets for the Cogg Railroad down.  The good thing was that we got them.  The bad was that it was leaving in 10 minutes which meant no time to look at the gorgeous views we worked so hard to see, nor time to buy that tee shirt!


Not yet at the top, we looked below at he parking lot where we started.

Views like this are rare at the top of Mt. Washington where is boasts the harshest weather in the world. 

If you don't keep stopping to turn around and check the view, you would miss this incredible vista!  It took my breath away. ( Or was it the climb up that made me huff and puff like I sprinted a marathon )?


 We quickly got into line behind the hordes of auto drivers, bus and railroad passengers taking their photos at the sign at the top, had someone take our all-important picture and hustled to the train.  By the time it came I probably could have gotten the tee shirt, but didn’t want to take the chance of missing the train and having to spend the night on the mountain. (Although I was prepared if it came to that)

It was such a perfect day, the top of Mt. Washington was very busy, and the Cog Railroad was filled to capacity.  In fact, they had been turning people away all day.


Life is Good!

As we rode the Cog Railroad down, we looked back up the hill and were very glad we were taking the easy way down....



Not bad, for a couple that lives in a city with no stairs, in the flat state of Florida!




Mt Washington is what looks like a "hill" from the bottom. It didn't look like it was going to be tough at all. But is sure was!


We happily boarded the train and enjoyed the very steep trip down in relative comfort.  We summoned up the strength to walk the ½ mile to our car. We were definitely tired, but very proud that these old bodies could do a hike we never dreamed possible at any age. I guess the 60’s ARE the new 40’s!  (Or maybe 30’s?)


I can buy this online!

Fit bit specks:  5.91 miles, 281 flights up!

I really wanted a bragging tee shirt, and considered driving up the auto road the next day for one,( they don't sell it at the bottom ) but the forecast was for clouds and fog.  I looked on line and found I could buy one there, so we decided to skip what would be another long day seeing vistas not nearly as pretty as we just did.


They next day we went for a drive, satisfied my craving for whole belly fried clams, and checked out a local golf course that we played the following day.

This unusual sign was seen near a major road at a golf course.  Why in the world would they need this sign? Is this a problem in the community here? Perhaps this tree is particularly inviting?