Friday, June 10, 2016

Chena Hot Springs

The plan today was to go on the highly touted  Discovery Riverboat  tour but our being uncharacteristically impromptu did not work out.  Yeah, you know where this is going- it was sold out.  The same with a gold mine tour.

In the spirit of spontaneity, we made a last minute decision to drive to Chena Hot Springs and hike the Angel Rock Trail.  We quickly had our lunch, packed our hiking gear, dug out our bathing suits, and headed out.

A beautiful fork of the Chena River 



We started way down by the river


It was so long ago that I had researched this trail that I didn’t remember its details other than it was really nice, and something we should do.

What we found was that it was really nice and steep! It does not sound like much, but 900 feet of elevation gain in a mile feels like a lot! I’m sure age and physical conditioning has a lot to do with it, but man, I had to dig deep to get myself up that hill! I kept thinking of the amazing people on the reality show “Biggest Loser” who manage to do the toughest workouts, and thought “ if they can do it, I can do it”!

Well, I guess I was a little crazy scrambling up here, but it was calling me! Not bad for someone over 60 years old!


It was really a beautiful hike with fantastic views far below.  Norm and I were dying to climb the rock outcroppings at the top, but chose to be responsible adults and not take the risk. (It truly would have been quite risky). It would not be fair to the others to have to carry one of us down.

The view was great up here at 1750 feet for Norm and I . Yikes, we better not step back!

By the time we reached the car, all but Norm was whipped.  I was even considering going into the hot springs up the road, which I normally never would (or ever have).

When we arrived at Chena Hot Springs it was a little after 5PM, so we went to the activities desk and got the information we needed.

I am not sure if this old tractor was an antique, or a sculpture. 


  The springs were running hot today – between 108 – 115 degrees Fahrenheit.  Of course I had to ask about the germy-ness of this natural phenomenon that all sorts of people go into (including the group of flushed faced, very strangely tattooed 20-something year olds roaming around.)

I really can't keep from wondering how dirty this water is.....

We were told they drain the pool every couple of weeks – not to worry, it was going to be that night!  Ok, let me think here…… that means right now, it’s the “dirtiest” it gets? Hmmmm....  Well, the measly $15 charge for a day pass, combined with the weariness of my bones, I overcame my paranoia of a few nasty germs possibly getting somewhere unimaginable.


We had a hasty but delicious meal at their restaurant, then started our Chena Hot Springs experience. We first took a tour of the Aurora Ice Museum which was originally intended to be a hotel with all the rooms and furniture carved out of ice. After the malfunctioning of the hotel’s sprinkler system ( which ruined everything ) they decided it would be much more lucrative as a museum.

This "icy workshop" is where they make repairs and make new sculptures

Ice bar. Thankfully the bar stools are covered in fur


We were able to roam around the many rooms in the Ice Museum


One of many ice sculptures inside.  


 It was a balmy 38 degrees when we entered this unique building to observe the incredible ice sculptures. We were prepared to dress for the artic, but others were provided heavy coats.

 The first thing I noticed was the awesome “smell” of the dry, cold air which gave me an incredible yearning for a New England winter and was reminded again just how much I miss them.


They carve 12-15,000 of these annually. A woman took hers outside where I took the opportunity to take a picture of this cold glass. It was quickly melting.

Martini's don't get colder than this! Sipping one as we sit on an ice-carved chair in this ice house was really special!

After checking out all the icy bedrooms the best part was yet to come. An Apple Martini is served in one of the 12,000 to 15,000 iced glasses they carve a year.  I have been dreaming of this for months now, and it was every bit as good as I imagined it!

Interesting note:  They must check everyone’s ID in order to serve.  If, by chance, you are an Alaskan resident convicted with a  DUI ( driving under the influence ) you may not be able purchase alcohol in ANY store, restaurant or bar!  Your driver’s license will have a very distinct stripe on it.  Awesome!  It must be quite the deterrent.  I wish all states had that!

Now that we felt the cold, and were refreshed with the coldest of martinis, it was time for the main attraction – the Chena Hot springs.

Beautiful flowers encapsulated in ice blocks.  Amazing! 

We changed into our suits and headed down the ramp to the springs.  Now I enjoy our hot tub at about 104 degrees,(which most consider too hot) but I tell you, these springs felt capable of cooking a lobster! It felt good in a painful sort of way as we gingerly stepped into the water.  Yikes, it was hot!  What part of this is good for you?

With water temperatures at 115 degrees Fareinheight, Norm's internal body temp is probably reading medium-well by now.

After about 20 minutes we figured our internal organs were cooked to medium-rare, so we got out. I then discovered to my horror, that the key bracelet to my locker was gone! It had to be somewhere in this huge hot spring!

At this point we were all so darn weak from the hot spring, that we could hardly make it back to the locker room, much less get back in there and look for my missing key.

 Dennis, Norm and I mustered up enough strength and courage to enter that water again. It felt so much hotter than before! When we were all convinced we were going to actually DIE if we don’t get out of there, I went to the main desk ( leaning on the walls for support ) and discovered that not only would it cost $50 to replace it,and worse, they would have to clear out the woman’s locker room to do it! No one would be happy about that!

Refusing to waste money as well as inconvenience others,  I was determined to find my keys, However, when I stepped into the water yet again, I realized there was NO WAY I could do it. Yes, I would die, I was sure. ( I refuse to die in my bathing suit ). Luckily, a few more people had just entered the pool and were willing to help me look, and it was quickly found.  Thank God! Saved!

I staggered back to the showers, put the water on the coldest setting and eventually got the strength to dress.  Sort of. At that moment, underwear was over-rated.

We were such a pathetic bunch exiting the locker room, practically crawling to the nearby bench. Faces beat red, slumped on the bench we waited for Norm as he sauntered out looking like he took a stroll in the park! Yeah, Norm! He was the only one capable of driving the more than hour back to the campground.