Saturday, June 11, 2016

Getting acquainted with Fairbanks, Alaska


We arrived at Rivers Edge RV Park and Campground, which had full service, including a lovely laundromat, but was quite uneven and RV's were placed extremely close together.  Norm and I have gotten very competent at leveling this RV with the nailed- together boards I persuaded the rental company to give us.  In fact, we like these so much we plan to build ourselves a set when we get home!

Travel in Alaska over the last month took us nearly 1300 miles

Norm and Dennis ran off to pick up the beautiful and comfy Kia Sorrento 4x4 we rented for the week.  I reserved this car back in December for the week, for the same as it would cost for a sub-compact for a single day if I had not, so it really is good to reserve things early.

  The weather was rather dismal as we all headed off to the  Morris Thompson Cultural Visitor’s Center.  We enjoyed the many displays as well as the film on Alaska’s history, nature and cultures. The young, but very informative workers there helped us plan the next few days.

Internet photo of one of the exhibits in the Visitor's Center


That night we walked to Chena’s Alaska Grill Restaurant right at the campground, and enjoyed the best meal of the trip, served by the most opinionated yet hilarious waitress we have ever encountered!

When one of us wanted to order the Seafood Chowder, this very robust waitress said “Oh, you don’t want that! I hate salmon with halibut!” She was so funny as we went down the menu – “Oh yeah, I had that – it’s pretty good- OK, you can get that!” or “No, you don’t want the dark beer – I don’t like dark beer!”   Was she sampling along the way? She strongly urged me not to get the salmon with the sauce I was interested in (she didn’t like that either) but I held my ground and it was fabulous.

 When asked for separate checks,she laughed and said “Oh, you’re so funny!” as she walked away.  About 20 minutes later she actually brought two checks which were totally incorrect.  When we brought it to her attention she waved her hand and said, “Yeah, I know.  Don’t worry about it. Just figure it out, and give each other cash!”  We all hooted with laughter.  We still do, when we think about it.

Everyone really enjoyed their meal here. Was it so good because of what she recommended? Does she judge culinary cook-offs in her spare time? Perhaps she should get “waitress of the year “and not get fired, after all! I must say, she does have a unique style you probably will not find anywhere else.

June 27th, 2016

Every time we mentioned to someone that we will be in Fairbanks, Alaska they ALWAYS say we HAVE to go to The University of Alaska Museum of the North. The modern exterior was said to have been inspired by the alpine ridges, glaciers, Yukon River and the northern lights, but unless you were really using your imagination it won’t jump out at you.

Internet photo of the architecturally beautiful University of Alaska Museum of the North. Inspired by the Alpine Ridges, the Yukon River and the Northern Lights. 



The exhibits at the University of Alaska Museum of the North were terrific!


 No imagination necessary for the inside, however.  The moment I walked in, I was in awe. Thousands of years of Alaskan art, culture and nature surround you.  Fabulous (although quite technical) educational movies were offered every hour about Dinosaurs, the Aurora or perhaps the Arctic Currents.

I couldn't resist this selfie! Convincing? 


 The Aurora Borealis is high on my bucket list, but after watching this movie with its incredible photography displaying one after the other, I actually think I might lower its priority on my list not that it isn’t breath-taking, but I saw so many on this huge screen that I almost feel as if I had been there. Norm has already seen it, so it’s not on his list at all.

See the Aurora Borealis on a huge screen in high definition was almost as good as being there! 

We roamed around the various exhibits for several hours then headed to the highly rated restaurant “The Cookie Jar”.  As we entered there were many photos of different celebrities including the infamous chef Guy Fieri seen on television’s Food Network. He was raving about this place, so our hopes were high.  The deserts as we passed them looked really good, anyway.  Well….we were all very disappointed. Chowders were so thick they were pasty, sandwiches overall were tasteless.  The gluten-free cookie I bought on the way out to share with Norm, however, was great!  I guess the name “Cookie Jar” fits!

Norm and Dennis went to the Fountainhead Auto Museum in Fairbanks, Alaska while Vikkie and I did a little shopping. 


From there the guys went to the auto museum, while we woman folk headed out to find some quality gift shops.  We must have been in the wrong part of town, but I did enjoy one shop that had some beautiful handcrafted things, but none were purchased.

We picked up the guys and went back to the campground to share a cooked meal together.



Norm and Dennis cooking outside the RV's one night in Fairbanks. Notice how close the RV's are at Rivers Edge RV Park and Campground.