Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Leaving Fairbanks behind


Well, it’s time to leave Fairbanks and head south for the last leg of our trip.  First stop – North Pole!

I thought I might have a little “one on one” with Santa.  I suspect the last few years he forgot about me – I have been very, very good after all. Perhaps he didn’t receive my change of address? Is that why he hasn't come?

 North Pole, is actually a suburb of Fairbanks and is home to 2200 Alaskans “where the spirit of Christmas lasts all year long”.

 As we drove down the streets looking for the huge Santa statue that caught my eye on the internet, we noticed that all the streets are themed named: Kris Kringle, Mistletoe, Saint Nicholas Drive and even a road named Blitzen! Do the housewives that live on Mistletoe Ave. get a daily  kiss from the postmen?

Norm really could not understand my need to visit this place, and was grumbling each time I made him turn that big RV around and try yet another street.  I couldn’t understand how difficult it was to find Santa’s house among a handful of streets! I finally thought to put it on my GPS and it led us right to the tour- bus filled parking lot with the giant towering Santa waving at us!

This is Santa's House? When did he move to this run-down commercial building? It must be it, since we are in North Pole, so might as well go inside.

Hey! This run down commercial building is not the Santa’s home depicted in all the children’s books!

After the crushing weight of disappointment passed, we went inside. What? Has Santa himself truly had to resort to importing his gifts from China? Really? Where are the Elves? Looking around, we saw a large display of the expected – ornaments galore,( of which the majority are found in most gift shops throughout the state), the miscellaneous souvenirs, and the unexpected large selection of adorable tee shirts for the grand kids.

As we turned the corner of the shop we saw a lot of commotion and a long line of people (surprisingly mostly adults) waiting to see what I sincerely believe to be the REAL Santa Claus!  I circled around and around trying to get enough courage to actually sit on his lap and get a photo, when I saw our travel mates Vickie and Dennis already in line.  Well, decision made! If they can make a fool of themselves, we can too!

We were surprised Santa insisted we actually "sit" on his lap.  He must have very strong legs.


My new pal, Santa, thought If I looked shocked, the photo would be better. Sorry Santa, I am just no longer photogenic.




Dear Santa, he was so sweet and patient as he waited for people to check their cameras and see if the photo was to their liking.  Santa was so sweet to me, thinking a better angle or bigger smile was needed, but I am just not as photogenic as Norm.  I gave up the hope of a great photo due to utter embarrassment.

Having enough of Christmas in July, we headed south on the Richardson Highway toward Valdez. I was pretty excited to finally hit what was boasted to be one of the most beautiful roads in the United States. There were a few areas of interest along this 360 mile stretch of road, so I carefully monitored my many notes from various references including The Milepost, so we wouldn’t blast by them.  If it is not on the list, Norm is not great about stopping, and would never turn around to stop at a shop or gallery if we passed it.

I can't believe I didn't put what could have been the most interesting craft shop in the state on my itinerary sheet. The Knotty Shop just snuck up on us as we blasted by.  These mosquitoes were carved out of "knotty" wood. I am still angry Norm wouldn't turn around! ( internet photo )

The Trans-Alaska pipeline can be seen 40 feet above the Tanana River.  This pipeline river crossing is the 2nd longest, at 1200 feet. 

 Our next stop, at MI 275 ( mile marker ) was Rika’s Roadhouse, the centerpiece of Big Delta State Historic Park which served travelers from 1913 to 1947. It was one of the 37  Roadhouses conveniently placed 15 -20 miles apart  offering  meals, sleeping quarters and supplies to travelers. These Roadhouses are now proudly listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.

Internet photo of Rika's Roadhouse. Part of the National Registry of Historic Places. 


Internet photo ( I can't find mine )of Rika's Roadhouse. Notice the turf roof and the fabulous gardens.  Rika definitely had a green thumb!

Rika Wallen was a Swedish immigrant hired in 1917 to manage this Roadhouse.  In 1927 she purchased it for $10.00 and “other considerations” (presumed unpaid wages).  Rika was very industrious. She raised livestock including sheep for her yarn, and goats for milk and cheese as well as chickens and other foul for eggs as well as for food.  Rika was a talented farmer, and was able to grow fruit and vegetables where others could not.  She harvested grain by using a yoke of oxen, then developed a heating and ventilation system in her barn to allow her stock to survive the impossibly cold winters.  She obviously was a very strong, courageous and clever woman to not only survive but thrive in such a harsh environment dominated by men. Wow.

We walked around the various buildings but were disappointed the café was closed at the time. No ice cream for us today.

This area was so utterly beautiful I was near tears!


About a 1/2 mile more down the road I made Norm slam the brakes so I could get out.  Norm patiently waited while I looked and looked.  I didn't want to leave! The colors and textures combined with the clouds at the ridge.... wow!


Panoramic view of the area surrounding the Delta River


Our first BLM campground.


Norm had spent quite a bit of time researching a campground for tonight and found one operated by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Because they haven’t been in the areas of our past travels,we have never taken advantage of the 250 million acres our wonderful government has set aside for the pursuit of outdoor adventures. Now’s our chance!






This campground, with its huge lake glistening below was beautiful. We didn’t have a clue what we were supposed to do since there was no office,and Dennis and Vickie who were following us, disappeared.  We waited quite a while for them but when a half dozen campers  headed into the campground ahead of us, we felt it best to grab a site.


Trying to determine which sites were available and which not was a bit confusing.  After winding around the small roads we finally found a site that would not only fit us, but the Little’s as well! Since our shared Halibut was on the menu, it was important that we be close to each other.

Norm and I were told by another camper that we needed to go self-register up the road. It was at this point, more than a month into the trip, that we experienced the famed Alaskan mosquito swam!  Holy crap! They were EVERYWHERE!  Norm and I were still wearing our mosquito repellent clothing, and it appeared to be working, although the fact that there were clouds of them rather freaked me out.  I dabbed a little commercial repellent on my ears and hat which seemed to keep them at bay. I am not sure what Norm did, but he wasn't bothered either. The other camper got eaten alive.

Since there was no cell phone service in this remote area, we called the Little’s on my walkie-talkies and told them where we were.

Trying to avoid opening the RV’s doors more than absolutely necessary, ( didn’t want to let those biting insects in to feast on us all night) we enjoyed the Halibut that Dennis cooked.

After dinner the rain came down in torrents! We felt so sorry for the group of tent campers next to us.  In the morning we could see them all spreading out their tents and sleeping bags trying to dry them out. Oh, I love RV'ing!